Click her to get back

The Prince Edward Island Highlanders

Prince Edward Island Highlanders Glengarry Badge

Prince Edward Island Highlanders Shoulder Title

Prince Edward Island Highlanders Collar Badges

Prince Edward Island Highlanders Metal Shoulder Titles

The Tartan of the Prince Edward Island Highlanders

The Prince Edward Island Highlanders Pipe Band, Victoria Row 1938

Photo courtesy of the Prince Edward Island Regiment Museum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prince_Edward_Island_Highlanders

The Prince Edward Island Highlanders was an infantry regiment of the Canadian Army. Founded in 1875 as the Queen's County Provisional Battalion of Infantry, it went through several name changes, being renamed the Queen's County Battalion of Infantry in 1876, the 82nd Queen's County Battalion of Infantry in 1879, the 82nd Abegweit Light Infantry in 1906, and The Prince Edward Island Regiment in 1920. It acquired its final title in 1927. 'Abegweit' is a Mi'kmaq word translating to 'cradled on the waves' as a reference to Prince Edward Island.

Parts of the regiment were placed on active service on 1 Sep 1939 for local protective duty and a battalion was mobilized on 1 January 1941. The unit served in Newfoundland from 1941 to 1943. Early in 1945 this battalion embarked for the United Kingdom where it was disbanded shortly after arrival. A reserve battalion remained on Prince Edward Island.

The regiment was amalgamated with the Prince Edward Island Light Horse in 1946 and renamed The Prince Edward Island Regiment in 1949.

The Prince Edward Island Highlanders were allied to the Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) and were kitted as Black Watch except for badges. Officers wore grey Balmorals in Service Dress and Battle Dress.

The Prince Edward Island Highlanders Guard of Honour for the Royal Visit of His Majesty, King George, 1939

Photo courtesy of the Prince Edward Island Regiment Museum