The Lanark and Renfrew Scottish
The Tartan of the Lanark and Renfrew Scottish
The regiment did not initially mobilize for the Second World War during the general activation of units beginning in August 1939
In 1938, the present commander, Col. Beatty, succeeded Col. Gardner. During this visit of the King and Queen in 1939, his regiment was given a prominent part in the ceremonies at Ottawa and Kingston.
Aids at Ottawa Function
At Ottawa the regiment was credited with preventing what might have developed into a serious situation on the evening Their Majesties attended a parliamentary dinner at the Chateau Laurier. Over 300 strong, the battalion’s duty was to line Mackenzie avenue and control the traffic and crowds. About eight o’clock, the crowd began to press forward and civilian “casualties” occurred right and left. The situation rapidly got out of hand. But the pipe band was brought forward and played in front of the Chateau. Soon the temper of the crowd changed and the situation was under control.
. In July 1944, the 5th Canadian (Armoured) Division perceived it was deficient in infantry. The 12th Canadian Infantry Brigade was created out of units already in existence. One unit of the new brigade was the Motor battalion of the division, a second was a re-equipped reconnaissance battalion from the 1st Canadian Infantry Division, and a third unit was created from anti-aircraft assets, no longer required due to Allied aerial superiority.
This unit petitioned The Lanark and Renfrew Scottish for permission to use their name and regimental insignia, feeling it was more appropriate for an infantry battalion. Permission was granted, and The Lanark and Renfrew Scottish served in the 12th Brigade until March 1945.
After all Canadian forces in Italy were repatriated to the command of 1st Canadian Army in North-west Europe, the brigade was dissolved, the units therein returned to their former roles, and the Lanark and Renfrew Scottish battalion was returned to its former duties and designation.