Cap Badge, Shoulder Titles and Collar
The Lorne Scots.
(Credit for photographs of the badges goes to Clifford Weirmeir, with his splendid website about
regiment of Canada)
Lorne Scots Shoulder Title
and Unit Patch of the 1st. Canadian Army Corps.
Lorne Scots deployed a great number of units in the Second World
War as headquarters defence and employment platoons.
The Lorne Scots were in
action in Italy and later in North-West Europe with No. 1
Canadian Corps Protective Unit [1 CPPU] Serial 503. Authorized
6 February 1941, G.O. 151 Redesignated 1st Canadian Corps
Defence Company G.O. 266/43 Disbanded 31 December 1945, G.O.
Because the Lorne Scots did not have
their pipe band in Holland, they did not take part in the
Canadian Massed Pipes and Drums playing at the Victory Parades
and no wartime photographs of their pipers in Italy and
North-West Europe are known. So we will just have to be content
here with some general knowledge on the WW2 history of this
regiment and its uniform.
The Campbell Tartan as worn by the
Lorne Scots Pipe Band
No 1 Infantry Base
As the outbreak of
hostilities approached during the summer of 1939, the CO of the
Lorne Scots, Lieutenant-Colonel Louis Keene, was offered the
opportunity to mobilize an infantry battalion for the 3rd
Canadian Division, if and when Canada decided to mobilize three
divisions. Rather than wait for this remote possibility, he
accepted the alternative of organizing a minor but immediately
required unit, No. 1 Infantry Base Depot, C.A.S.F. (Canadian Active
Service Force). While guards were being mounted on the armouries
in Brampton, Georgetown, Port Credit, Milton, Oakville, Acton,
Orangeville and Shelburne, the Lorne Scots set about forming the
headquarters and two companies of the Depot, with two provost
CASF units were
distinct from the units of the N.P.A.M. (Non-Permanent Active
Militia), even when they bore the same name. But they drew from
the experience of those units, in the officers and N.C.O.'s who
volunteered to serve in them.
For three and a half
months the unit trained in Brampton, where it graduated 200
cooks. In mid-December it moved to the Automotive Building on
the Toronto Exhibition Grounds for a month, before setting out
to embark from Halifax for Britain. Here they were at first
located at Farnborough, in Barossa barracks.
On the eve of the fall
of France, the War Cabinet resolved to send every available
division, including the 1st Canadian Infantry Division, to
Brittany in a forlorn hope of stemming the German advance. An
advance party from the Depot – Major W.H. Lent, C.S.M. E. Ching and
Corporal Hiscock – went to establish a base depot at Isse near
Chateaubriand. On their arrival, the expeditionary force heard
of the surrender of Paris, and started to return. Major Lent's
party, who had set foot on French soil on June 12, were back in
Barossa Barracks by the 18th.
In training: Lorne Scots in 1942 at
Back row, far right: Bob Hughes. Second row – three sitting: Ray
Daly; unknown (hidden); Pete Newton. Third row – standing
bandsmen: Dave Jacobs; bandsman from Brampton.
Six bandsmen standing: Pipemajor George Duncan; unknown; Peter
Moorehouse; Bill Adamson; Bill Irwin; Jimmy Windsor. Second row,
two pipers seated: Jimmy Valentine, Georgetown; Pipe Sergeant
Front row – four sitting: Freddy Friend, bass drummer; George
Hagey; Stuart Smith; Johnny Conn
2 July 1941. 34
officers and 350 O.R.'s Lorne Scots reinforcements landed. They
had trained at Standard Barracks, Hamilton. On June 15th they
marched to the T.H. & B. station and entrained for Halifax,
sailing on the 21st. on the Andes
(the same ship the Seaforth Highlanders took to
with the battleships Ramilles and Repulse as part of the escort
to the convoy. The Andes shook from stem to stern, and when a
destroyer dropped depth charges, it ‘scared the living daylights
out of us.’
Details on Her Majesty's
Operating life: 1939
- 1971 - Tonnage: 25,689 - Passengers: 607
Constructed: Harland & Wolff, Belfast, Andes was launched 6
months before the outbreak of World War Two. She was immediately
requisitioned as a troop carrier and spent the war on active
duty. In 1947 she was released back to the Royal Mail Line and,
after a major refit in Belfast, she commenced her commercial
service on routes to South America. In 1959 she was refitted for
cruising. In 1971 she made her last voyage to the breakers in
After landing in Greenock, they went to New
Martinique Barracks in Cove. The day after they arrived, Lord
Haw-Haw came on the air, welcomed them to Britain, and told them
to look at the clock by the parade square - it was stopped at
1200 hours. After a few weeks, some were sent to Headly Down
atop Box Hill where they were part of 1 C.C.P.U. They did guard
duty at the corps headquarters at Headley Court, which was later
moved to Paddockhurst near Three Bridges. Most of the Lorne
Scots went to Sheffield Park for training.
21 August 1941. Regimental shoulder titles would no longer be
worn, until the full issue of Lorne Scot title badges are
available; Canada patches would be worn instead.
At Dieppe, No. 6
Defence Platoon (6th Canadian Infantry Brigade)
were brought by L.S.T. (Landing Ship Tank),
touching down on White Beach at 1605 hours on the 19th. It was
split into two parts. C.S.M. Irvine, with Privates Breault[?],
Dubois, Rosenberger and Seed waded ashore with Brigadier
Southern — all were reported missing. Lieutenant E.J. Norris,
with Privates Hancock, Lane, Moor and Keith Spence accompanied
the Brigade Major and signals. Their L.S.T. carried three
Churchill tanks from the Calgary Regiment and a signal cart. The
tanks were to lead off and clear an area to set up the
headquarters. Spence was to engage enemy aircraft, but had no
tracers so could not observe his fire, and ran out of ammunition
since the craft carrying the stores had been hit. Most if his
group were dead or wounded, and when a serviceable craft came
along side, he helped Hancock, Moore and Lane on board. As they
pulled away, the L.S.T. that had brought them in sank. The
Germans concentrated their fire on the craft in the water,
leaving those on the shore till later, and the group pulled many
soldiers of the Fusiliers de Mont-Royal from the water. On the
return to Newhaven, the platoon commander and Privates Lane and
Hancock were sent to hospital.
Corporal Larry Guator,
with Privates McDougall and Stephen Prus, were to act as
bodyguard for Brigadier Leth (4th Brigade). They landed on Red
Beach at 0550. Prus was beside the brigadier when the latter was
wounded in the arm, and carried him on a stretcher to the
evacuation craft. Ashore, they fought until 1300 hours, when
they were ordered to retreat.
Unit becomes 1st Canadian
Corps Defence Company, authorized 1 January, effective 15
1943 Lorne Scots unveil plaque in
Thursley Church, England.
Click on the photograph above to see a clip of
the Pipe Band playing to and from the church parade.
18 October 1943.
Preparing for Operation Timberwolf.
24 August 1943. Arrived
on the Alexander, at Gourock.
U.S.A.T. Edmund B. Alexander
Details on U.S.A.T. Edmund B.
USS America (ID-3006) was a
troop transport for the United States Navy during World War I.
She was launched in 1905 as SS Amerika by Harland and Wolff in
Belfast for the Hamburg America Line of Germany. As a passenger
liner, she sailed primarily between Hamburg and New York. On 14
April 1912, Amerika transmitted a wireless message about
icebergs near the same area where R.M.S. Titanic struck one and
sank less than three hours later. At the outset of World War I,
Amerika was docked at Boston; rather than risk seizure by the
British Royal Navy, she remained in port for the next three
Upon the entry of the United States into the war, Amerika was
seized and placed under control of the United States Shipping
Board (USSB). Later transferred to the U.S. Navy for use as a
troop transport, she was initially commissioned as USS Amerika
with Naval Registry Identification Number 3006 (ID-3006), but
her name was soon Anglicized to America. As America she
transported almost 40,000 troops to France. She sank at her
mooring in New York in 1918, but was soon raised and
reconditioned. After the Armistice, America transported over
51,000 troops back home from Europe. In 1919, she was handed
over to the War Department for use by the United States Army as
USAT America, under whose control she remained until 1920.
Returned to the USSB in 1920, America was initially assigned to
the United States Mail Steamship Company, and later, after that
company’s demise, to United States Lines, for whom she plied the
North Atlantic on Bremen to New York routes. In March 1926, due
to a tragic oil leak from inside the ship, near the end of one
of her periodic refits, America suffered a fire that raged for
seven hours and burned nearly all of her passenger cabins.
Despite almost $2,000,000 in damage, the ship was rebuilt and
back in service by the following year. In April 1931, America
ended her service for the United States Lines and was laid up
for almost nine years.
In October 1940, America was reactivated for the U.S. Army and
renamed USAT Edmund B. Alexander. After a stint as a barracks
ship at St. John's, Newfoundland, the Alexander was refitted for
use as a troopship for World War II duty.
to Sicily and Italy
28 August 1943. En
route to Sicily.
6 November 1943.
Low-flying aircraft attacked the convoy for half an hour; one
ship was sunk and two badly damaged.
8 November 1943.
9 November 1943.
Arrived at Taormina, where the
Hotel Vittoria was made ready. Dinner bully beef, hard tack and
16 November 1943. This
unit is to supply three officers and fifty ORs for a guard of
honour for Colonel Ralston within two days.
18 Novemer 1943.
Routine Orders: ‘The Field Security Section will under no
circumstances be referred to as the Gestapo. This gives a false
impression to the civilians.’
29 November 1943. After
the inspection Ralston complimented the Lorne Scots on the work
they were doing.
In northern Italy,
defence platoons were reorganized 24–5 February 1944 for the
1st, 2nd and 3rd Canadian Infantry Brigades, in the last
instance by posting the 3rd Canadian Infantry Brigade support
group intact to the Lorne Scots. During April and May they faced
the Hitler Line.
13 February 1944. Cold,
cloudy, with about three inches of snow on the ground. All ranks
are glad of the prospect of getting in to the front line--they
were to relieve a company of Seaforth Highlanders. Forty shells
were dropped on Ortona during the night.
15 February 1944. Cold
and rainy. Guard change in the square in Rocco. At 1815 hours
the Lornes moved into battle positions with Seaforths three
miles north of Ortona. Unit
occupied front line position overlooking Adriatic. After an hour
of stand-to, two men of each section were left on, and the
roster of two hours on and four hours off began.
The Lorne Scots did not bring their
Pipe Band with them to Italy,
so the Canadian Seaforths did have to play for their changing of
the Guard on this occasion.
February 1944 photo of the Lorne Scots and Seaforth Highlanders
at a changing of the guard ceremony following the Lornes return
29 February 1944. Guard
change in the town square in Rocca, with the CAC band and the
pipes of the Seaforths.
4 July 1944 Major
Drennan visited each of Bde. Platoons, reports many Lorne Scots have no
balmorals, cap badges, flashes or shoulder titles. Suggests
concentration to fit them out.
10 July 1944. To San
6 July 1944. Major
Drennan obtained permission to hold a Lorne Scot Concentration.
16 July 1944.
23 July 1944. Church
service at which Lt-General Burns, G.O.C. 1 Cdn. Corps, read the
lesson, followed by a march past led by the
pipe band of the Seaforth Highlanders,
and complimentary words from Burns. The
corps commander suggested that the Lorne Scots should organize
its own pipe band.
29 July 1944. Order for
move to Spoleto. The troops were to wear
no cap badges or corps patches, and corps formation signs were
removed from vehicles. The vehicles were then painted
with the American five-pointed star surrounded by a white
16 February 1945.
Arrived at Lammie Camp to await embarkation.
With Italy secured, the
Canadians began in February 1945, in great secrecy to move to
north-western Europe. The 1st Canadian Corps moved to Marseille,
then Antwerp, and on 15 March took over the Nijmegen area in
France, then Holland
Details on the
built as Esperance Bay, 1936
On 27 August 1939 the passenger ship Arawa of the Shaw, Savill &
Albion Co Ltd, London was requisitioned by the Admiralty and
converted to an armed merchant cruiser. Conversion was completed
on 17 September 1939.
Displacement: 14462 BRT
Armament: 7x 152mm, 2x 76mm
Speed: 15 knots
November 39 - Sep 40: China Station
October 40: East Indies Station
November 40 - July 41: South Atlantic Station
On 25 July 1941 returned and used as troopship by the Ministry
of War Transport (M.o.W.T.), later as repatriation ship for
prisoners. 1945 returned to owner.
22 February 1945. The
Esperance Bay sailed for Marseilles
3 March 1945. Belgium.
The unit reached its destination and could now put up unit
titles and badges, and talk to civilians.
4 March 1945. Seven day
privilege leaves to the UK began.
13 March 1945. Wihohen,
19 March 1945. Roman
Catholic and Jewish services.
31 March 1945. The
organization will change to correspond to 2 Cdn. Corps; Major
Beatty will become Deputy Camp Commandant; both AA platoons will
be disbanded; the men will be used for fatigues as well as guard
11 April 1945. NE of
Private J.L. Davies of The
Lorne Scots (centre) and Private W. Mahar, 9th Canadian Infantry Brigade Headquarters
(3rd. Can.Inf.Div.) signing
autographs, Leeuwarden (Friesland), Netherlands, 16 April 1945.
Private J.L. Davies of The
Lorne Scots served in
the 3rd. Canadian Infantry division,
with 9 Canadian Infantry Brigade Ground Defence Platoon (Lorne
3rd. Can.Inf.Div. had four
Lorne Scots Ground Defence
- No. 3 Defence and
Employment Platoon (Lorne
- 7 Canadian Infantry
Brigade Ground Defence
Platoon (Lorne Scots)
- 8 Canadian Infantry
Brigade Ground Defence
Platoon (Lorne Scots)
- 9 Canadian Infantry
Brigade Ground Defence
Platoon (Lorne Scots)
17 April 1945. Castel
18 April 1945. Five
soldiers to escort prisoners to Nijmegen.
22 April 1945. North of
Otterloo. The Germans left in a
hurry without planting mines or booby traps.
26 April 1945. Field
Marshall Montgomery visited Corps HQ to lunch.
29 April 1945. CSM
Steen and Private Gibbs left on rotational leave to Canada; Sgt
Thraves became CSM.
3 May 1945.
Apeldoorn. Lt Bingeman discussed
patrols with the commander of the local partisan force. They
will from now on stay clear of the Corps area and endeavour to
keep civilians out.
4 May 1945. Special rum
ration to mark the unconditional surrender of Germans in NW
9 May 1945. Move to
outskirts of Hilversum.
17 May 1945. 190
reinforcements arriving for the company.
21 May 1945. Lectures
on Lorne Scot history and traditions for the new reinforcements.
24 May 1945. 23 ORs
sent to Northern Holland to work under #3 Cdn Provost to guard,
search and strip of weapons and valuables German prisoners being
evacuated from Holland.
[Private Donald R.
Gardham, B116322, 1st Corps Defence Coy (Lorne Scots), died on
Sunday, 3rd June 1945. Age 20. Son of Robert and Myrtle Alice
Gardham, of Galt. Holten Canadian War
9 July 1945. A large
group of Lorne Scots attended at the cemetery near Rear, the
funeral of RQMS Sass, our quartermaster, who was killed in a
vehicle accident while working for the Recreational Increment.
He was a very popular figure.
9 July 1945. Photo of Guard of Honour from the
Lornes drawn up in front of the Hotel de Wereld, Wageningen,
where General Blaskowitz agreed to surrender terms offered by
General Foulkes. Officer of the guard is Lt. J.E.R. Bingeman.
A plaque was unveiled
and Prince Bernhard given a Royal Salute.
9 July 1945. Lieutenant J.E.R.
Bingeman and a guard of honour consisting of infantrymen of The
Lorne Scots (Peel, Dufferin and Halton Regiment) were at a
plaque unveiling ceremony outside the Hotel De Wereld,
Wageningen, Netherlands, .
[Warrant Officer Class
II Carl Edward Sass, A31336, R.Q.M.S. 1st Corps Defence Coy,
(Lorne Scots), died on Sunday, 8th July 1945. Age 39. Son of
Charles and Caroline Sass, of Kitchener; husband of Patricia
Sarah Sass, of Kitchener. Holten
Canadian War Cemetery, Netherlands.]
17 July 1945. HQ 1 Cdn.
5 August 1945. Began
3-week tour with C.F.N. Unit strength hovering around the 200
31 December 1945: